Thursday, July 19, 2007

Final Day in China

Our last day in Hangzhou began with a morning final quiz over the material we have learned the past two days, one last trip to Trust Mart, followed by a farewell lunch at the Louwalou Restaurant. The Louwalou Restaurant is one of the oldest and best known restaurants in Hangzhou and specializes in the famous Beggar’s Chicken. Beggar’s Chicken is a whole chicken wrapped in lotus leaves and then cooked in a clay shell. When they serve it a person gets to break open the clay-incased chicken with a hammer. Jose did the honors for our group.

After lunch we all had a moment to speak about our time in China, and to talk of our plans for the future in regards to Chinese language and culture instruction. Earlier in the day I gave Cherry, our Chinese teacher, several gifts that I brought with me from home. I gave her an Indianapolis calendar, some Brooks School Elementary pencils, keychain, t-shirt, and some coins including the new Presidential Dollar coins. She surprised me by showing up at our lunch wearing her new Brooks School Elementary t-shirt! Below you can see me pictured with her in her new t-shirt.

After lunch I, along with several others, elected to head back to the hotel to organize for tomorrow’s journey home. After getting mostly packed and ready, Jose, Jessica, Katie, and I went out to Pizza Hut for a final dinner here in China. The evening’s activities now include finishing packing, weighing my suitcase, checking out of the hotel, and getting as much sleep as possible before our 5 AM departure from the hotel tomorrow for Shanghai Pudong International Airport.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You must be sad that you are leaving so soon. But your blog is huge now! Wow!
Oh yeah, Kipper says hi!

Mark Heiden said...

Say Hi to Kipper for me!

Anonymous said...

Wow, it was a great meal, great company and memorable times.